1. Visit your doctor before you leave to get all the relevant vaccinations/ immunizations for the destinations you're visiting, and to learn what health precautions you should follow.
2. Make photocopies of your passport and leave one with friends and another tucked into your bag. Or, better yet, scan your passport and email a copy to yourself.
3. Get travel insurance, this is mainly for health costs if you get ill or injured while abroad. Hospital costs can quickly get into the tens of thousands of dollars, even for a minor injury. Insurance is worth it.
4. Know first the weather and climate on the country you are travelling.
5. Regardless of size, never bring more than two bags with you- any more than that is unwieldy and difficult to keep track of.
6. Bring a travel first aid kit with medicines for headache, LBM, dizziness, and for your allergies .
7. Don't pack clothes that require ironing.
8. Rolling non-wrinkable items before shoving them into your suitcase really does save space.
9. Stuffing socks into your shoes can help you save space and ensure your loafers retain their shape.
10. Always pack a hat. In the winter, a knit hat will keep you warm and take up little room. In the summer, a brimmed hat will keep the sun off your face.
11. Layer to change your look, this gives you more outfits and the flexibility to adjust for weather changes. One long-sleeve, two camisoles, two tank tops and a cardigan can be combined in multiple ways.
12. Wherever you are, wherever you are going, bring snacks.
13. Pack a reusable water bottle. Bottled stuff costs a lot so that you'll save a ton.
14. Toilet paper is not a given in many parts of the world. Make sure to bring or you can buy on drugstores.
15. Never pack something that you haven't worn before. Otherwise you'll find your new shoes too uncomfortable, your new jacket too flimsy, and your new underwear too wedgie-prone.
16. Pack more underwear than you could ever conceivably go through. They don't take up much room, so that you put on a fresh pair in the morning and again in the afternoon.
17. If you've forgotten something, check with the hotel before running to drugstore. Most housekeeping departments carry toothbrushes, combs, sewing kits, shower caps, and disposable razors that they will give you free of charge.